13 July 2015

Easy couscous recipe

If you are running out of recipes try this easy couscous! I will start by writing the original recipe I found on BBC Good Food and then I will tell you how I did it the other day. I forgot to take a picture of it so next time I will cook this for dinner I will take a picture for the article. 

Ingredients:

- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 200g chicken breasts diced
- 1-2 tbsp harissa paste, plus extra to serve
-10 dried apricots
- 220g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 200g couscous
- 200ml hot chicken stock
- handful coriander chopped

  • Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add the chicken and fry for 7-10 minutes until cooked through and the onions have turned golden. Stir through the harissa to coat everything and cook for 1 more minute.
  • Tip in the apricots, chickpeas and couscous, then pour over the stock and stir once. Cover with a lid or tightly cover the pan with foil and leave for about 5 minutes until the couscous has soaked up all the stock and is soft. Fluff up the couscous with a fork and scatter over the coriander to serve. Serve with extra harissa if you like. 
As I was cooking for children I didn't dare to follow the recipe so here are the few tips I can give you:
  • I replace the harissa with tomato purée for a non-spicy version
  • I didn't put apricots because I don't like it and I'm not sure the children would have liked it too. 
  • Next time I will do more than 200ml of chicken stock because the couscous was quite dry. To me 200ml is not enough, it burned the bottom of my pan and I was only on medium heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment